Police Explorers – About Us
The Police Explorers program is a career-oriented initiative that gives young adults, ages 14-20 years old, the opportunity to explore a career in law enforcement or a related field in the criminal justice system by working with local law enforcement agencies. The program offers young adults a personal awareness of the criminal justice system through training, practical experiences, competition and other activities. Additionally, the program promotes personal growth through character development, respect for the rule of law, physical fitness, good citizenship and patriotism.
YOU ARE THE FUTURE OF LAW ENFORCEMENT!
This Explorer Post is sponsored by the Berwyn Police Department and chartered through the Boy Scouts of America, Learning for Life Division. Our post began in 1966 with the auspices of assisting youth interested in Community Awareness and/or Law Enforcement involving them in police orientated training and community service.
The following criteria must be met before an individual can become a member of the explorer post.
- Be at least 14 years of age (not yet 21) and in high school or college.
- Must complete all membership forms.
- Be of good moral character.
- Must not have been convicted of a serious crime.
- Receive final approval from post advisor.
Due to the sensitivity of being involved in Law Enforcement with the Berwyn Police Department, a background check will be completed on each applicant.
AREAS OF TRAINING
The following is an example of some of the training that will be offered to you while you are a member of the Explorer post.
- History of Law Enforcement
- Patrol Procedures
- Traffic Control and Accident Investigation
- Basic First Aid/C.P.R.
- Radio Procedures
- Crime Prevention Techniques
- Community Relations
- Cause and Effects of Juvenile Delinquency
- Hostage Negotiations
- Crime/Bomb Scene Investigation
*and many more topics.
COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS
Our Explorer Post is also involved in numerous Community Service Projects which will assist young adults in becoming involved in the community and to aid them in becoming better citizens.
- Mc Gruff the crime dog -Neighborhood Block Parties, School and Community Events. Bring crime prevention education to our community.
- Aiding the senior citizens in the community.
- Assist in numerous community and City of Berwyn sponsored programs ie annual Easter egg Hunt, 4th of July Fireworks, Octoberfest in the Depot District, District 98 and 100 Back to School Events, Route 66 Auto Show, Earth Day Clean Up, Berwyn Historical Society Antique Show and Berwyn Health Fair just to name a few.
There may be other functions and community programs we assist with throughout the year such as Lock-Ins and Neighborhood Watch Meetings.
- Bowling Parties/International Night with Food, Fun and Games
- Laser Tag – Christmas Party
- Softball and Volleyball Games with BBQ’s and more……
- Fright Fest at Great America
And many more!
For Questions regarding this program or to join, please contact:
Det. Kayla Strejc (708)795-2153
Ofc. Juan J. Macias (708)795-2139