The Criminal Investigations Division is responsible for investigating selected felonies and selected misdemeanors; missing and found persons; and other incidents that may be assigned to the Bureau of Detectives by policy or through specific instruction of the police Administration. The Bureau consists of Criminal Investigations, Youth Investigations, and the Tactical Unit. This division is responsible for the follow-up investigation of crime and is comprised of a staff of specialized and highly trained officers. Major Crime investigations of the most serious violent offenses such as homicide, robbery, and sexual assault as well as property crimes such as fraud and burglary are all conducted by Criminal Investigations. Additionally, this division is in charge of forensics which includes crime scene investigations; evidence collection, analysis, and storage; and is the liaison between local, state, and federal crime labs.
The Criminal Investigations Division of the Berwyn Police Department is staffed by sworn and civilian personnel responsible for the follow-up investigation of crime and the implementation of community programs. The Criminal Investigation Division consists of the following unit:
- Criminal Investigations Unit – Comprised of a staff of highly trained investigators that investigate major cases to include such offenses as; homicide, robbery and sexual assault. Additionally, the Criminal Investigations Unit investigates the less serious offenses such as; fraud, theft and other property crimes.
- Forensic Unit – Processes crime scenes, collects, evaluates and store evidence and is the liaison between local, state and federal crime labs.
- Youth Investigations Unit – Comprised of a staff of highly trained investigators that investigate major crimes with a focus on either a juvenile offender or juvenile victim. In addition, the Youth Investigations Unit investigates crimes involving child pornography, and crimes related to the exploitation of children.
- BCOPS – Berwyn Community Oriented Policing Strategy.
- Tactical Operations Unit – Comprised of a staff of highly trained undercover officers assigned to proactive enforcement with an emphasis on targeting drug, gang, other vice offenses, wanted persons and the development of informants.